EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR ADULTS
The following Adult Education classes are offered in collaboration with Wake Technical Community College:
English as a Second Language: ESL
If you would like to learn or improve your Enlgish language skills, we ofer the Hispanc Family Center offers the following free ESL classes, from levels 1 to 4:
- Hours: Monday-Thursday, 10:00 am to 1:00 pm. Those insterested must be available to attend classes every day from Monday through Thursday.
- Registration: To find out the dates and times for registration, please call 919-532-5682. Please bring photo ID to registration.
- Cost: This class is free
Wake Technical Community College offers ELS classes in other locations and hours and in different levels. To obtain infomation about other sites and schedules, please visit Wake Tech's ESL web page at:efl.waketech.edu
GED in English & Spanish for Migrant and Seasonal Farm Workers: HEP Program
The GED is very important in the United States because it is a basic requirement for many jobs and a necessity to further your education. People with a diploma are more likely to get jobs that are not affected by bad weather, injures on the job, or personal or family illness. Also, with a GED you will be able to help your children in school and take part in community events. At the end of this class, students will receive the high school equivalency diploma (GED).
This class is for people who have worked in agriculture, or who had a family member who worked in agriculture, in the United States for at least 75 days over the past 24 months. .
- Hours: Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, 6:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- Registration: Call (919) 461-8408 to obtain more information, to find out whether you qualify for this program, and to make an appointment for the entrance exam. Information is also available at basicskills.waketech.edu/HEP
- Cost: This class is free
Literacy Classes in Español: Plazas Comunitarias
Would you like to further your education? Would you like to help your chldren with their homework? At the Hispanic Family Center we offer literacy elementary, and middle school education classes through the program Plazas Comunitarias, a partnership between the Mexican Consulate, the Institute of Mexicans Abroad (IME), and Wake Technical Community College.
Benefits for participating in Plazas Comunitarias:
- Upon satisfactory completion of the course, students will receive the elementary and/or middle school diploma.
- Students will be better prepared to enter a GED program to obtrain the high school equivalency diploma.
- Upon completion of the program students will be more prepared to better understand and learn the English language because they will have a more solid education in their native language.
- Hours: Wednesdays, 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- Registration:Please call (919) 532-5652 or simply come to the Center on Wednesdays at 6:00 pm.
- Cost: This class is free.
Note: This class is offered in Spanish only.
Other Adult Education Classes
The Hispanic Family Center, through Wake Technical Community College, offers numerous Adult Education courses such as computer classes, cake decoration, jewelry making, and others. To find out about current class offerings and schedules, please search in the Wake Tech Continuing Education Catalog clicking here and search for the Center's code site: "HFC".